Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Ex-factor


On Monday night Mr. DD and I had dinner with his (extremely pregnant and beyond adorable) ex-girlfriend and her husband.  We had the best time.  I realize that some people find this kind of thing odd.  Plenty of people look at me sideways when I tell them about encounters with exes.  It seems that there are 2 very distinct ends of the spectrum.  On one end there are those that stay very close to their exes and others that never speak another word after a break-up.  Mr. DD and I find ourselves planted firmly at the former end.  We love a good ex, actually.  Now granted, some of our exes don't love us... especially mine.  (What can I say?  I'm a heart-breaker; guilty as charged.)  There are even a handful that likely hate our guts.  And of course, they are entitled to those feelings.  However, it seems bizarre to me to spend any amount of time in a relationship with someone and then sever every last tie.  I don't want to do it.  And I'm glad that my husband doesn't either... because, frankly I totally love his ex.  In fact, every time we see her, I find myself shaking my head in disappointment and saying to him, "Geez, you really blew it with her.  She's super-great.  You missed the boat on that one, sucker."

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I get you. Past relationships bring us to where we are in our current relationships so I guess I'm in the middle? That said, pretty sure all my ex's hate me!! And my Mr. can't STAND it when they come up in conversation.