Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

On the reading list.

I'm feeling quite excited about two new books.


The first is "The Selby Is in Your Place," by Todd Selby.  If you aren't familiar with Todd, he has photographed  over 150 people in around their homes across the world, though there quite an emphasis on NYC, which after all is the center of the universe.  He works out of a studio in the East Village and his photos are phenomenal.  Don't believe me?  See for yourself.
Sometimes, as I lay awake in my bed at night, I fantasize about having my place photographed by Todd.  It could happen... maybe.

Next up, "True Prep."  This is the incarnation of an old favorite "The Official Preppy Handbook."  Growing up, this book was on the bookshelf in my house and I remember thumbing through it at age 7 and being so confused, thinking, "my parents are nothing like the people in this book, why would they own it?" Ah, humor, I was late in acquiring you.



Anyway, I grew to love the book and as an adult who enthusiastically embraces summering in Cape Cod and wearing Nantucket reds and Tory Burch flats (while simultaneously laughing at it all) I'm beyond excited for the new edition.  From the amazon.com review;

"From the author of The Official Preppy Handbook comes a new take on the old world that Lisa Birnbach turned into an international best-selling phenomenon thirty years ago.

True Prep
looks at how the old guard of natural-fiber-loving, dog-worshipping, G&T-soaked preppies adapts to the new order of the Internet, cell phones, rehab, political correctness, reality TV and . . . polar fleece.

A small sample:

• Wardrobe: Recent prep brands we are forced to recognize. How to tell Casual Friday from, say, Saturday.
• Money: We never talk about it.
• Food: Does the Food Network mean we’re going to have to cook? Bake? Now you’re going too far.
• Scandals: Poor Mrs. Astor. When Mummy’s plastic surgery goes terribly wrong. Rehab and the slammer: the new prep schools.
• We’re outta here: When to name something after yourself, and when not. The right obituary. What to do with your dogs if you predecease them.
• NO TEXTING AT THE TABLE, PLEASE."

True Prep promises to be a whole new old sensation.

No comments: