Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Don't do it!"

Now through August 15th, thirty-one life-size bodies made of iron and fiberglass in the image of the artist, Antony Gromley inhabit the sidewalks and rooftops of Madison Square Park in New York’s Flatiron District.

“I’m thrilled to be working with New York: people and place,” says artist Antony Gormley. “I don’t know what is going to happen, what it will look and feel like, but I want to play with the city and people’s perceptions. My intention is to get the sculptures as close to the edge of the buildings as possible. The field of the installation should have no defining boundary. The gaze is the principle dynamic of the work; the idea of looking and finding, or looking and seeking, and in the process perhaps re-assessing your own position in the world. So in encountering these peripheral things, perhaps one becomes aware of one’s status of embedment.” 

Suffice to say, these figures are creating quite a stir with the NYPD reporting multiple calls a day to report "jumpers."  I personally love the idea behind them and every time I'm in the area I seek them out.

More about the exhibit and artist here.

No comments: