Search This Blog

Monday, August 03, 2009

Dessert Fail

Last night Mr. Diagnosis Deferred's parents came to our new place (more on the apartment later) for dinner. They were coming straight from Cape Cod and bringing seafood for dinner, so my only responsibilities were sides and dessert. I decided to aim high for dessert and make Mr. DD's grandmother's blueberry pie. It started so well. We headed to Chelsea Market (my new favorite place in the world) for blueberries. I made and chilled the crust. I filled the shell about an hour before they were set to arrive and put it in the oven. So far, so good...





And by oven, I mean the creamator that sits in our kitchen. It was my first time using it and I soon discovered that that thing is smoking hot and before I knew it the pie was smoking hot too... literally. The fire alarm went off and all I could think was "Oh my god, this is all so trite."


Long story short, the pie was burnt to a crisp, but Mr. DD wouldn't let me trash it and insisted that we try it. I smothered each slice wth ice cream and everyone politely smiled and gushed about how good it was, but it was a disaster. Of catostrophic proportions.

Oh, I also burned the roasted potatoes and had a mishap with the steamers during which half of the water from the pot sloshed onto the floor as I tried to transfer them into a bowl. What a night...

3 comments:

Christina said...

oh no! it was a good effort though, right? that's what counts. ice cream covers a multitude of mistakes, no?

Kristen said...

What a bummer!! It sounds like you can completely blame it on the oven though ;)

Rachel said...

that's what wine is for, the more they drink before dinner, the better the food tastes no matter how bad your oven incinerates everything that goes in it